Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm on a Steamboat

In honor of the Holiday Weekend, over the next few days I will take the opportunity to also honor my disappearing belongings over the years. When I say disappearing belongings, I mean these items are there one second and GONE the next (none of it is my fault).

I thought I'd start off with one of the biggest 'blows' to my missing collection of items. First you  have to understand my feelings. When I lose my phone I turn into a depressed, lost, sad girl. I also feel naked. I am disconnected from the world/the six people I talk to on a daily basis. After reading this story, I would like you to take the feelings I have when I lose my phone and multiply it by 50. 

The first incident happened on a boat. A steamboat taking me for a ride down the Brownville River where I was attending a new gentleman friend's fraternity formal. (Here is the link if you are interested in traveling on a steamboat in Brownville, NE, http://www.steamboats.org/traveller/missouri-river/brownville.html). Not only was I extremely nervous to be on a formal date, I didn't know anyone on this 'steamboat', in this frat, or in Brownville.  Some vodka would've helped with the nerves; however, I believe I was the only person on the boat still under 21.  (Sidenote: My parents dedided to enroll me in Kindergarten at the age of three, so I'm literally the youngest person in the class of 2004, across the US). A couple days before, I "came across" a wonderful fake i.d. a friend said looked just like me, when in reality Lois MacEntire of Missouri was 5'4", blonde, tan, no freckles, and 125 lb. Perfect! I had to go for it, apparently bartenders "don't even look anymore". I went to the bar for my first Vodka/Cranberry and either the bartender was blind or people were right because it worked! I was able to ease my nerves, loosin' up on this now lovely steamboat and even show off some of my sensational dance moves (or Lois' moves at the time).  My date and I moved to the back end of the boat where my stomach started to creep right back up to my throat where it had been before the vodka. I put my clutch under my arm and my date went in for a... hug? He was obviously nervous too since he was going in for a HUG! As he moved in, his hand punched my clutch out from under my armpit and it flew in slow motion to the bottom of the Brownville River. I quickly jumped in the dirty water to retrieve my clutch. Ok, not really, but I was seriously contemplating it. With my clutch (which was $1 from Target) went my lip gloss, camera, Lois and my Cricket phone, for a total of $10 worth of belongings. I couldn't even call my real friends to tell them my life had just drown in a river, the BROWNVILLE RIVER at that. My date and I stood there in silence with a slight smirk that more represented disbelief than ANY type of humor. Needless to say, I had to regroup my life after this, stop seeing the 'hugger', and figure out where I could get me another Lois.

You should be multiplying the 'phone feelings' by 50 right now and.....You just felt my pain.


Spirit of Brownville Riverboat

No comments:

Post a Comment