Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Every Monday Matters (EMM). Make a difference in 52 Mondays.

You might wonder what I am talking about when I say "Every Monday Matters". This is a chance for you to make a difference. I don't know who 'you' is, but whoever it is, be prepared, I might get a little 'deep' so if it makes you uncomfortable...suck it up.

I was recently blessed with a week long visit from my best friend and sister, Alicia Ann. Growing up, Alicia and I weren't always on the best terms. She wouldn't take me to Amigos when I asked, I couldn't hang out with her and her friends, we hit each other, we screamed at each other, we threw Super Nintendos at one another and we were big on slapping. Not to mention she was jealous every time I wore my 'Pow' shirt and I was jealous of her hiked up and scrunched down tube socks.
However, my last year in high school and nearing college, once Alicia stopped picking out my clothes and I stopped stealing hers, something really changed for us. I was no longer a nag and thief and she no longer ignored me in public. We began a friendship that I believe will always be the best friendship I ever have and will ever have. After finally being able to go 'out on the town' together, shopping together, spending Sister/Sister days together, living together and going on trips together it was time for me to go after what I've always wanted....sunny California.  I did everything I could to try and persuade my Alicia to come out here because the ocean was something I just couldn't give up. I had to be closer to whales.
Alicia has her life in Nebraska which is not easy to leave and I now have mine here that I don't think I could leave. Not to mention a handsome young man I gained from the move. But Alicia's visit made me think about life in general: what it's about, the paths we take, the choices we make and how every person has a different story.

During Alicia's visit on one of our 'Sister, Sister' days we went on a shopping excursion to Venice Beach. I found a book called, Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza. I thought this was a sign, it was my opportunity to start doing something new and different and find there is more to life than work, shopping, working out, and the material things. Here is my chance to give back and maybe my headstone will say more than -Avid Shopper and Dry Humorist- . I invited my boyfriend to help me with these small actions that can make a huge impact. I want to invite you to join in EVERY MONDAY!

I will post an action for every Monday for 52 Mondays- except the first one which is today! Feel free to read the attached story as well. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment