Thursday, April 7, 2011

Only In LA: American Idol in Real Life


I've dreamed of living in California since I saw my first whale in 5th grade, MiMi on her Voyage, but it is not until now that I realized how lucky I truly am. I took Mimi's advice and voyaged out to California and was lucky enough to join some of my best friends who had already settled in the sunny state. However, I think I'm even more lucky that all of my friends here happen to be determined, gorgeous, motivated and successful ladies who will take me to exciting events like American Idol! (thanks to fancy pants, Sierra Nielsen)

If you know me, you know I have talked about trying out to be America's Idol since Kelly Clarkson's performance of "A Moment Like This" in 2002. On April 6th at 5:00 sharp, my dream didn't come true, but the next best thing did. I got to see the taping of American Idol with the real JLO (Amazing with an outstanding Glow!), Steven Tyler (legendary but odd), Randy Jackson (needs a new stylist), and of course, Ken doll (i.e. Ryan Seacrest). The show was fairly strict. You couldn't wear white, labels, phones and cameras were confiscated (even though I saw Christian Slater with his, WTF?), and there were no sunglasses to be worn, which Madeline learned the hard way. I, however, did not get the memo that chewing gum was illegal in the American Idol corridors, you think Sierra would tell me something as important as the 'no gum chewing law', but no! I was forced to publicly spit my gum into a security guard's cup 20 seconds before the show began. No big deal, just our entire section saw me targeted by a security guard with a cup, who happened to see me smacking my gum from what had to be 30 rows down. I looked like a little girl who just got caught chewing gum by her 4th grade teacher, not to mention I was wearing a flower sundress. Only Me.

After this display of public humilation, I went on with my amazing American Idol experience of standing up and sitting down every five minutes, clapping on que, staring at JLO's hair and make-up people every commercial break and singing as loud as I wanted (which the gum would've gotten in the way of anyways).

It was such a great night with great friends, great performers, great/observant security guards, and a night I could experience Only in LA.

1 comment: